As a business that sells products online on Shopify or any other e-commerce platform, have you ever had problems with creating invoices for your orders? Have you ever struggled to make them right? Invoices to your customers will help them know how much to pay you and establish payment terms for the transaction as well as help you to keep track of your revenue and any tax you might have collected on the sale, but it can be a real problem if you don’t understand it correctly and find the suitable template for your business operation.
Running a store on Shopify, you have the chance to use Shopify Invoice Generator for free to help you with creating professional invoices efficiently and uniformly. In this blog, we will help you to understand Shopify Invoice Generator better and guide you through how to use it in your business as well as some suggestions to manage invoices efficiently on Shopify.
>>> Check out the Shopify Invoice Generator by PageFly
- What is Shopify Invoice Generator?
- How to use Shopify Invoice Generator in 3 steps
- Shopify Free Invoice Generator Tool: Is It Enough?
- 5 Best Third-party Invoice Apps For Shopify Recommended By PageFly [2022 Updated]
- Avada PDF Invoice: Order Printer +
- Sufio: Professional Invoices
- Shipway ‑ Shipping Automation
- Invoice Hero
- Order Printer Pro
What Is Shopify Invoice Generator?
Shopify invoice generator is basically a term to refer to a solution that allows you to create professional-looking invoices from the store so that you can request payment from your clients on Shopify as promptly as possible. You can print, customize, and send your customers an invoice using these related tools or apps, and in this case, we will mention the Free Invoice Generator tool from Shopify.
There are also other various platforms and apps that can support you with that. You may create and personalize invoices, credit notes, and quotes to make shipping easier and keep track of the goods you have in stock.
How Shopify Invoices Work
With the financial platforms, you apply for your transactions, Shopify invoices are immediately linked. The whole process will happen in the following order when clients make purchases from your Shopify store:
- An Invoice is Generated from the Order: When an order is placed or paid for, the cash platform will automatically create the pro forma invoices.
- The customer receives the invoice: After your product is sold, your customers will receive the invoices via email. The invoices may also be downloaded by customers from your store.
- Your store receives payment from the Customer: Customers have the option of paying you directly or through platforms. When payments come through, you'll be informed.
Why should your Shopify business use an invoice generator
The following, among others, are some advantages of employing a Shopify invoice generator tool or app:
- Track expenses: You can monitor the transactions and payments you get from your clients using Shopify invoices. With this, you may be sure that your income from the e-commerce site will exceed your outflow and your inflow will be more than your outflow.
- Save time: It will be time-consuming to hand-type all the invoices since your customers will be buying and selling frequently from your online store. That’s when a Shopify invoice generator will handle it for you.
- Reduce paperwork: Your time and effort will be saved, and the amount of paperwork will also be decreased. All the information will be kept in the cloud when you use an invoice app or tool, allowing you to access it
- Receive payment faster: You can get paid by the consumer much more quickly with the help of Shopify invoice generator. You will be able to keep track of who paid an invoice because each one contains a distinct number and due date. Automatic reminders will be sent whenever the client is approaching their payment due date.
How to use Shopify Invoice Generator in 3 steps
Shopify provides users with free use of its Shopify Invoice Generator tool to create invoices for your business efficiently and professionally. You will just need access to the Free Invoice Generator Website to create invoices for your business in just 3 simple steps of filing information. In addition, you can also add any notes and customize the tax rate at the end of the submission.
Here we will guide you through this process with an example:
Step 1: Enter your company information
In this step, you will need to fill in the basic information of your company manually: name, email address, and address. Besides that, you can also add your company’s logo to make the customer familiar with your brand and recognize better that the invoice comes from you.
Step 2: Enter customer and invoice information
In the second step, it’s time to fill in your customer and invoice information. You will need to have the name of your customer, his/her email as well as the customer’s address. In this step, you will also need to fill in the invoice number and date of issue.
Please note that for the address you will need to have the Zip/Postal code as well.
Step 3: Enter the items
For the third step, you can now add all the items that you wish to bill. The information needed includes the item’s name, description (just a general one), quantity as well as price.
Following that, you can also add in any notes you like as well as adjust the tax rate to the correct amount that you have for your business.
After that, the total amount, including tax for your invoice, will be calculated automatically. When you have submitted all the necessary information, an invoice will be generated, and now you can access a free download of it to send to your customer.
Bear in mind that before using the information included in the invoices as an official tax document, you should discuss it with your tax specialist beforehand as it complies with just the general tax requirements.
How to customize invoices on Shopify for wholesale
Sending invoices for your wholesale customers can differ from that of retail customers. By default, the template provides customers with a link to a checkout page where they can enter billing information, select a shipping method, and submit payment. Customers can pay using any of the payment providers that are enabled in your Shopify admin. To offer your wholesale customers alternative payment options or terms, you can edit the default invoice template. For example, you can add a code that sends one invoice to your retail store customers and another to your wholesale store customers.
There are several steps that you might want to know to edit the invoice template
- Step 1: From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Notifications
- Step 2: In the Orders section, click Draft order invoice.
- Step 3: Replace the code in the Email body (HTML) section with your customized template.
To understand it better, you can learn more about editing email templates.
- Step 4: Click Save.
After editing the template, you can preview an invoice in a 4-step process
- Step 1: Open a draft order that was submitted from your wholesale store.
- Step 2: From the order's information page, click Send invoice.
- Step 3: On the Send invoice dialog, make sure that the custom message is empty, then click Review invoice.
- Step 4: Verify that the invoice is correct, then click Send invoice.
Shopify Free Invoice Generator Tool: Is It Enough? A Quick Review From Us.
Invoicing is a very essential step for eCommerce business owners. Shopify understands that and has created an invoice generator tool to assist Shopify store owners, and it is completely free.
To provide you with an overall picture, we have tried experiencing this tool. To sum up, it is free, and easy to use because you will only need to proceed with the three-step guide above, and quite enough for a rather simple billing process.
But well, since it is just a free tool, we can’t expect it to integrate everything. There are two significant minus points that we found using this:
- No other function except for invoicing.
- All the information for each order needs to be entered manually.
It still is an economical way to make use of what is free and available, especially in the case of new and small Shopify stores where you only receive a small number of orders, then you will have time to do that. But it is not a real fit for big businesses since orders may come continuously and uncountably. They will have further demands than just invoicing and need them to be automated, like calculating regional tax, packing slips, receipts, and quotes, customizing invoice templates to fit certain customers’ profiles, etc.
In that situation, you will have to seek a third-party app to help you with that which we will recommend in the later part.
Discover other free tools from Shopify: Free Business Tools
5 Best Third-party Invoice Apps For Shopify Recommended By PageFly [2022 Updated]
Since there are so many invoicing apps for Shopify that may lead you to confusion, we took the liberty of doing this legwork for you. In this part, we have based on user reviews and other criteria like price, key features, pros and cons, and ratings to put together the 5 best third-party invoicing software this year and they are all available on Shopify App Store. We hope it will help you compare and choose the most suitable application for your business. Let's have the necessary details look!
One of the top apps for printing invoices is Avada PDF Invoice: Order Printer Plus. If you need to print invoices quickly, the app has ready-to-use templates that you may utilize. Other papers, such as shipping labels, draft orders, refunds, and so on, are also printable.
Rating: 4.9/5 stars (675 reviews)
Price: Free to install
- Easy creation of countless PDF templates
- Simple to download and print PDF invoices
- Quick and efficient customer support
- Easy to use
- Modern UI
- Sometimes there are a few minor bugs and issues occurred while using and setting up the app
The Sufio team's creation, Sufio: Professional Invoices, is an excellent solution for all eCommerce business managers worldwide to design their own stunning and unique invoices. This program generates and delivers invoices automatically whenever orders are placed, paid for, or completed. This tool also helps you create pro forma invoices, credit notes, and quotations, among other types of documents.
Rating: 4.8/5 stars (447 reviews)
Price: Four plans from $19 to $499/month (14-day free trial available)
- Allow users to print and download PDF files in bulk
- Provide a variety of types of documents
- Produce invoices in your customer’s currency
- Comply with accounting legislation in many countries
- Great customer support team
- Quite overpriced for its features
- Customers have complained about how the VAT for some regions is calculated in the app
This incredible app is used to organize and produce GST invoices. You can add additional information, such as the name of the carrier or the recipient's billing address, to your GST invoices and even shipping labels. Additionally, you can obtain a monthly or bimonthly report for some of your taxes.
Rating: 4.9/5 stars (445 reviews)
Price: Four plans from $19.99 to $169.99/month (7-day free trial available)
- Automatic order import from your Shopify Store. Automatic tracking number assignment
- Option to sync tags with Shopify orders
- Once the tracking number is assigned, Shopify will automatically push back.
- All sorts of discounts are handled by GST invoices, including product and order-specific discounts as well as shipping and other fees and gift cards.
- Low-response customer support
- They might not have the greatest courier options.
The top-ranked Shopify invoice app for online retailers is Invoice Hero. The Invoice Hero app is a crucial tool for business owners who want to use customized invoices to increase sales and showcase their professionalism. Additionally, this invoice app's exceptional features, such as its ability to generate and deliver invoices, download PDF invoices, create tax invoices, and more, makes it ideal for any multipurpose Shopify store that sells globally.
Rating: 4.7/5 stars (270 reviews)
Price: Four plans from $0 to $8/month (7-day free trial)
- Simple to use
- Support multilingualism and multiple currencies
- Customize invoices with the logos to make them look more professional.
- Permit printing and downloading of invoices
- Affordable plans
- Inefficient customer support
- Established brands are better suited for Invoice Hero.
The Order Printer is a fantastic tool for any online store looking for a cost-effective, efficient way to print papers and support invoices. For your Shopify orders, Order Printer Pro makes it simple to create invoices, quotes, packing slips, and returns forms. The program allows you to print documents on your own or upload PDFs and automatically sends invoices to your clients. You can also export documents in bulk as PDFs to archive data. It works with both Draft orders and all standard orders in your Shopify account.
Rating: 4.9/5 stars (732 reviews)
Price: From $0 to $10/month (14-day free trial available)
- Support for batch printing several documents
- Make your brand completely customizable
- Simple to integrate with all templates
- Permit automatic delivery of PDF files
- Responsive customer service
- Complicated to use for non-tech-savvy
It can’t be denied that Shopify Invoice Generator is a useful, free tool for your business to create invoices efficiently and professionally. but it still has certain limitations and drawbacks. Of course, nothing is 100 percent perfect for everyone. Depending on your business size, needs and demands, it’s up to you to choose a suitable provider among the numerous options for handling invoices. But if you are a small business owner, and just figuring to handle these invoices, we definitely recommend you give Shopify Invoice Generator a try before choosing any other third-party invoice generators to purchase as you know, it is totally free so why not?
Hopefully, this article has provided you with everything you need to use Shopify Invoice Generator. If there are any questions that arise during your experience, please contact Shopify Support Team for the most precise answer to the status of your shop. See you in the following posts!