The first thing you need to do when deciding to launch a Shopify business is to select a memorable store name for it. The brands’ identities can be developed from just their Shopify store names. But coming up with a suitable name for your Shopify business is not an easy undertaking. Naming a Shopify business or an e-store is an art and it's completely normal if you are confused in the selection of a perfect name since many merchants also have trouble coming up with a good name for their Shopify stores at first. For deciding on the ideal kind of good name for a company or store, there are several particular considerations.
So in this blog post, we will walk you through the process of how to brainstorm creative Shopify store names and come up with applicable tips and things to notice when naming a Shopify business.
Don’t waste more time, just scroll down and let's guide you from A-Z.
Let's get it!
Source: Ecom Masterclass
- Do Shopify store names matter?
- What makes a good Shopify store name
- How To Change Shopify Store Name
- 5 Inspirations For Shopify Store Name
Do Shopify Store Names Matter?
The answer is yes. One of the most crucial elements you can have for your Shopify store is its name. It will serve as a barometer for how well you do in this field and be something that people will keep in mind long after they first know or learn about your e-store. There are several reasons why store name plays an important part in eCommerce businesses’ success:
- Your brand representation
- Customers’ first impression on your brand
- Stand out to customers and among competitors of yours
What Makes A Good Shopify Store Name
As being said, it’s something that people are going to remember for years after they first know or hear about your business. What should you take into account while naming your online trade business, then?
Things to notice while picking a good name
- Remain loyal to the .com top-level domain name: There are more than a thousand domain extensions accessible, making it challenging to select one that works for your company or objective. In that situation, obtaining a .com domain name is crucial for a variety of reasons:
- This kind of domain extension is regarded as one of the most promising ones available. Nearly 60% of all websites are registered with the .com, .net, and .org domains, according to W3techs. The most well-known and often used among them is .com (50%). Non-techies automatically add .com to the end of a website if they can't remember it because of the enormous popularity of the .com domain.
- It expands your opportunities for advertising-related income.
- It improves SEO ranks.
- It increases traffic flow to your site
Note: Be sure that your non-.com domain can be utilized with Shopify if you decide to go with it. Some domains simply cannot be moved to Shopify, such as .ca domains, which are not accepted by Shopify.
- Choose a simple, memorable, easy to spell and pronounce name: It's crucial to refrain from giving your business a long or challenging-to-pronounce name. It makes the name of your store more difficult to remember, and occasionally, customers might type it incorrectly while searching for it. If this happens, they will eventually go to another website. and you will consequently lose your traffic. Normally, your domain name can have up to 63 characters and can include anything. But be sure to keep your domain name as brief and uncomplicated as you can. Customers are more drawn to short, straightforward ideas. The majority of the Top 100 Global Brands feature just one word with up to three syllables.
Additionally, you should ensure that the name can still be entered and spelled correctly in American English into a search engine if someone only hears it rather than seeing it written out.
- Go with memorable and catchy online shop names
Consider using terms that express your company's basic principles in the name of your business to make it a memorable and catchy name. By doing this, your name will keep its significance even if your business changes directions.
Every time you introduce a new product or service, you don't always need to come up with a new name. However, anytime there is a major change in direction or strategy, you ought to think about renaming your business.
SHOPDROP is an excellent example of a catchy and memorable name. ‘Shop until you drop’ now is shortened to a two-syllable word that rhymes, which is not only catchy but also memorable even for ones first hearing about it.
- Pick a name that expresses some meaning
You need to communicate effectively through your name, which should describe your goods and services at first glance. Keep in mind to always choose a name for your Shopify store that conveys the core values of your store. A good name should include not only contact information but also a description of the services you offer. It makes the store's type easier for customers to comprehend, and it makes it easier to attract a sizable audience. Therefore, always attempt to pick names that truly describe your company. It makes gaining popularity simple.
What sets your company apart from its competitors? Is the location convenient? large variety? outstanding customer service? expertise and knowledge? Who is your ideal client or customer?
Determine your brand identity before settling on a business name, then decide on a name that accurately describes that trait.
- Consider the feeling you wish to convey
You need to consider the associated emotions while choosing the name of your business. It's usually preferable to have a name that makes potential customers feel good than the opposite.
What sort of emotion are you hoping to evoke in your potential customers? Do you intend to come across as professional? Trustworthiness? You need to ask yourself these questions.
- Pick a name that can be scalable
If you choose to launch a new business, don't put limits on how big you can get. Select a name that will not impose any limitations and that reflects the ideal image and long-term ambitions of your brand. Having a limited scope and a too-specific name makes them less competitive. Consequently, picking a name with significant potential for development and expansion will help you succeed more quickly.
Whether Amazon's original intention was to be an e-commerce platform where everything is sold or not, surely their business name is the prime example of the word ‘scalable’. As Amazon is the name of the largest river in the world, their business can sell anything in the world, too.
- Try including a keyword in your domain name
You can let visitors know what your company does or who your ideal clients are by using a relevant keyword in your domain.
Additionally, the SEO and click-through rate (CTR) on search results are both enhanced by the presence of keywords in the domain name. Because visitors frequently click on a website when they discover content that is relevant to their search. The difficulty of SEO optimization for this term should be taken into account while choosing a name. Open a keyword tool (Keyword Tool, Google Keyword Planner, Long Tail Pro,...), enter some keywords related to the products you sell, and do some keyword research. Consider how you may naturally merge each one into your store name as you go through them all. If you can land a name that is frequently searched for, you're set. However, when a topic is hot, it usually also implies that the competition is tough, and you can find it challenging to outperform these popular websites. Your store's website will probably come up after dozens of pages of Google search results. To gain Google traffic, though, is difficult if the word's optimization is challenging and there isn't any traffic. So, you will need to use some tools, in order to locate long-tail keywords that are appropriate for you.
- Make it original and brandable
Avoid choosing a name that sounds too much like one of your competitors. Keep an eye out for rival businesses that are using names that are close to the one you desire while you're searching for a distinctive name. At worst, the other company can accuse you of trademark infringement, and you might end up having to defend yourself in court. So, to find out if someone has already registered their business with the same name before registering a domain, it is preferable to conduct a quick trademark search. A general Internet search for companies with similar names can serve as the basis of your study. You may look up names that have been registered as trademarks in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database. Be sure to check alternative spellings and abbreviations as well while you are searching.
Even yet, you still want your company to have its own brand and identity because being mistaken for a rival is rarely a positive thing. Perform market research to find out which domain names for online stores are already being used by your direct competitors, then try to think of something completely distinct, something that expresses your own identity or describes your brand.
- Try word-play for the best and unique name
There are several methods to tinker with words to come up with intriguing names:
- Acronyms: Instead of choosing a lengthy term, think about shortening it to only the initials of the words that make it up. Or, as an alternative, try combining your name's initials.
- Rhymes: If you're working on a compound word, you might want to add some flavor by cleverly putting rhymes together. There are FireWire, 7-Eleven, RingDings, StubHub,... as examples.
- Typos: Considering how few words there are in the English language, it's time you tried your luck with misspellings. For instance, a simple letter missing might be able to reveal a term that was previously locked. That's how things like Lyft, Tumblr, Nimbl, and Kool-Aid work.
- Foreign words: Using a non-native language is another clever technique to generate business name concepts. This might help potential buyers remember your brand and make it look intriguing and exotic.
- Mash-ups: Using a mash-up is one of the most unique ways to come up with amazing brand name ideas. Consider two or three terms that are significant to you and your business. Can they be integrated in any way, whether partially or completely? Examples include TripAdvisor, Evernote (from "forever" and "note"), and Netflix (from "internet" and "flicks").
- Register your domain
As soon as you decide on the domain name for your Shopify store, register it right away. As a result of the daily registration of over 100,000 domains, your domain can also be taken. You must begin the registration process all over again if you don't register the domain you discovered after a few days or weeks.
Therefore, we strongly advise you to at the very least register a domain name when you have the ideas. It might just cost $10–$14 a year. Of course, you can always open an online store later.
Tips for naming a Shopify store
If you need a little bit of creative inspiration, this is the ideal tool. Additionally, if you come across a distinctive store name you like, you can quickly transition from naming your brand to purchasing a domain. In order to begin selling online more quickly, new business owners can register a domain name and launch an online store in a matter of minutes.
Despite their imperfections, the names created by business name generators are nevertheless good. You can utilize and modify these phrases yourself and convert them into original online store name ideas. Just pick the best option out of all of them after you have some ideas.
If you want to pick a name from the results for your store, just click on the arrow icon to the right of the name you chose and you will be redirected directly to Shopify's domain registration page as shown below.
You can use Shop Name Ideas by PageFly as a free tool to obtain excellent suggestions for online store names for your business. Simply select your industry, specialized product, and/or sub-industry, and the tool will provide you with the top 20 Shopify brand names for inspiration. Depending on what you enter, the tool will suggest a number of names for your online store.
- Study your competitors.
The ability to learn from others' mistakes is one of humanity's greatest blessings. Your competitors share the same situation. They have a lot to teach you about choosing a name for your Shopify store.
Make a note of all the original store names used by your competitors and give each one careful consideration. Look at the variables they considered when making these choices as well. The following 5 steps will assist you in naming a Shopify store as well as in researching your competitors:
- Take a glance at their names.
- Discover their mission and vision.
- Evaluate the offerings they make to clients.
- Find out the background behind the tagline used by their business.
- Find all about their successes and failures.
It will assist you in comprehending how company names and taglines affect their businesses globally, and you can then apply it to your store.
- Refer ideas through the internet
Do a thorough online search before naming your business. Look for similar companies and various ideas to see which ones have been successful and which have the potential for success. Additionally, see if the name you're considering is already registered. You may do this using numerous free programs that are available online. Once you've discovered a name that works, register it right away. Waiting till after the launch of your website will cost you money.
How To Change Shopify Store Name
There are two main causes for people to wish to alter the name of their Shopify store:
- The desired name is already taken. They are forced to select an alternative name or something completely different.
- They decide otherwise because they are dissatisfied with the previous choice.
Knowing that, we’ll guide you with four simple steps to change your Shopify store name in case you might need it later.
Step 1: Click "Setting" in the admin menu at the bottom of your Shopify admin dashboard.
Step 2: Fill in your preferred store name in the "Store details" section's "Store name" box.
Step 3: Click “Save”.
Step 4: Visit the website to see if the name has been changed.
- If you don't see the change, clear your cache.
- Your domain name and your store name don't have to match. They are distinct from one another. Only the name that appears on the website will change if you change the name of your store.
- Your login URL, "yourstorename.myshopify.com," will also use the store name you provided when you first created your account. Changing the name of your Shopify store will not affect this URL because once it has been generated, it cannot be changed.
- If you choose not to use the website address "yourstorename.myshopify.com," you may connect with your current domain name through Settings > Domain and use that instead.
5 Inspirations For Shopify Store Name
The Death Wish Coffee Co. was founded as a small coffee shop in Saratoga Springs, New York, in 2012. To satisfy his sleepy morning customers, the company's founder, Mike Brown, saw a need for coffee that was both strong and flavorful. The "World's Strongest Coffee" was produced using the ideal bean combination and his special roasting method. The only possible interpretation of their way of naming their business like Death Wish Coffee is that it offers some of the strongest coffee available.
This online store name, together with the language on its website and other marketing channels, sets the tone for the brand experience and entices customers to test it and see if it lives up to its promise.
The market for subscription boxes is still booming. The COVID-19 pandemic played a significant influence in the subscription industry experiencing a revival as many brick-and-mortar businesses faltered, even if the subscription box frenzy is nothing new.
The word "box" appears in the names of many of the most well-known companies in this market: BarkBox, BirchBox, and NatureBox, to mention a few. In the case of Fuego Box, the play on words "box" and the often used Spanish term for fire, "fuego," have made their name into something abstract but also intriguing.
"Cotopaxi" has two different meanings. In Ecuador's Andes Mountains, there is one renowned and active volcano. The second is a website that offers outdoor gear for sale. Instead of coining a phrase or coming up with a name from scratch, Cotopaxi took inspiration for its moniker from a well-known landmark that is relevant to and appealing to its target audience. Even the origin of the name is explained on the website.
One of the most notable examples is Amazon.com, which was given the name of the greatest river in the world to represent the wide variety of products it offers. They appeared to be trying to play it safe by using abstract terminology and metaphorical images because it appears that going random isn't really their thing. Additionally, their names are practically scalable.
Kylie Cosmetics is an American cosmetics company founded by Kylie Jenner in 2015. It was formerly known as Kylie Lip Kits, and then the company was renamed Kylie Cosmetics as the brand was relaunched on Shopify. The business had earned $307 million in revenue by the end of that year. Since then, the range of Kylie Cosmetics products has grown to include eye shadow palettes, highlighters, concealers, brushes, and more.
Since Kylie was already famous by the time she started her business, including her own name in the brand name (Kylie Lip Kits) made it widely recognized. Later, the brand realized the needs of beauty and health care products, they changed their name to expand their business. A two-syllable word with the owner’s name in it makes a perfect unique name and is also easy to remember.
We are all aware that everyone's name serves as both their identification and their first impression. Therefore, you ought to give your Shopify store a special name. But as we've already mentioned, coming up with the perfect, original name is the hardest task. Many people squander a lot of their valuable time trying to come up with a nice name for their company.
If coming up with a name for your Shopify online business is still tough for you and your ideal concept isn't immediately apparent, you need some inspiration. We hope that this blog post has at least somewhat assisted you in handling this challenging undertaking. Stay tuned and check back soon for a new helpful post!