Remember those days when the only way of selling products while running a business was probably through yard sales, flea markets, and of course, brick-and-mortar stores? And these offline stores were not the first choice for small businesses due to the limited quantity of the products they had to sell. But that is history as now entrepreneurs and business owners are presented with some exciting opportunities to showcase their products and services. We are talking about online marketplaces and eCommerce platforms, and of course, social media, a bustling hub for business owners.
We understand that if you are starting off your venture, you need something affordable and, most importantly, something free so that you can sell your goods and services online without a heavy investment. Don’t worry we've got you covered. Check out this year’s top websites and marketplaces for selling online for free, their pros and cons, and much more in this article.
- 5 Free Websites to Sell Your Stuff Online
- Popular Marketplaces and Platforms to Check Out in 2023
5 Free Websites to Sell Your Stuff Online
Here are five free websites for selling online for free:
NextDoor is a hyperlocal social networking platform for sharing and receiving local information, buying and selling items, and building solid and real-world connections with people around you, be it businesses, neighbors, or public services. NextDoor brings together neighbors and businesses by providing an opportunity for small businesses, enterprises, and public agencies to connect with a certain audience, such as people living in a certain area, by selling or exchanging products, services, and information.
NextDoor allows business owners to go online and tap into a niche audience that purchases from trusted sources such as local businesses. As the recommendations and information on the platform are trustworthy, much of the audience is persuaded to make purchases or take necessary action.
- It is completely free to use.
- A trusted source of customers and information to help your business grow.
- Free business-specific pages to post content related to the product or organization for users to see and engage with.
- Nextdoor ads to market your business locally for more online sales, website views, and engagement.
- Ability to reach out to neighbors based on their interests, an interesting feature for brands and agencies.
- If you are looking to target a global audience, then NextDoor is not the ideal platform for you.
- You can only sell to users in the community.
What can you sell on NextDoor?
You can sell a wide range of products through NextDoor, starting from groceries to clothing and much more.
Commission: NextDoor charges no commission from the seller.
Swappa is an online marketplace where users can sell used or refurbished electronics to other users without the need of any mediator. What’s unique about Swappa is that users cannot sell old and heavily used electronics, instead can sell almost new or gently used items. Because of this policy, customers who purchase from the platform are sure to get a quality product and the sellers a good price.
Sellers have the option to sell a wide range of products in the electronics segment, including mobile phones, laptops, and watches. Sellers have the potential to earn big here as customers trust the platform for its strict device review and checks before listing, ensuring maximum value for money at both ends.
- The seller fee is lower than what eBay charges sellers, making it an excellent choice for selling used electronics.
- Quick and easy process to sell products with competitive prices.
- There is no scope for middlemen or hidden charges as sellers directly sell it to buyers.
- Instant payment through PayPal.
- Sellers can make a good profit by selling used electronics that are valued for money.
- No fees are applicable to list items for sale.
- Better returns due to low seller fees.
- You can only sell to users in the US as this marketplace caters to this audience and only ships within the US.
- The buyer has to pay a certain fee for each product sold on the platform.
- All products must be fully functional and should meet the requirements laid out by the Swappa team to be eligible for listing. This means, products with the slightest damage will also be rejected.
What can you sell on Swappa?
You can sell gently used electronics such as:
- Apple, Samsung, Google, and other brands of mobile phones.
- Video games and gear.
Commission: Sellers have to pay 3% fee to Swappa for each product sold through the platform.
Looking to take up a sustainable business idea? Then an online thrift store is a great option, and ThredUp is an online website you can begin with for selling online for free. ThredUp is an online consignment and thrift store that allows anyone to sell used clothing in good condition over the platform.
The entire ‘clean out’ process is hassle-free, with users just having to fill a kit with the items they want to sell and send it to ThredUp. The rest is taken care of by them, and the sellers get money for every item sold through store credits, or they can choose to cash out.
- People who are looking to make some bucks on the side can use this platform to sell used clothing online easily.
- The selling process is fairly straightforward, and ThredUp takes care of the inspection, marketing, photography, and shipping of the products.
- It helps reduce fashion waste through the reusing and reselling of used clothing.
- The 12-point inspection can be long and dreading for sellers who are actively looking to sell thrift items on this platform.
- Only items that pass the inspection are put up for sale.
- There is no guarantee of a sale.
- Sellers get the sale money only once the product return window is over.
- Not all brands of items are eligible for a payout.
What can you sell on ThredUp?
ThredUp lets you sell all fashion products for women and children. Some of them include:
- Fashion accessories such as handbags and caps
- Designer clothing
Commission: ThredUp doesn’t charge a commission. However, sellers will only get a percentage of the amount once the product is sold. You can learn more about its payout here.
Another website to start selling online for free is Decluttr. By trading in your old tech, Decluttr gives you an opportunity to earn money as well as contribute to an eco-friendly practice. The process is fairly simple, where sellers can get an instant quotation for the product they want to sell, and Decluttr will even ship the item for free and ensure you get paid as quickly as possible.
- Sellers can get an instant and free quote for the products they want to sell.
- Price guarantee for up to 28 days.
- Decluttr takes care of the shipping too, to ensure your entire seller experience is trouble-free and economical.
- Sellers don’t have to wait for their products to get sold to get the money. Once the product inspection is done, the payment is initiated via bank or PayPal.
- Sellers cannot sell CD singles, EPs, VHS, Vinyl, or Cassettes on Decluttr.
- If it's media items, there should be a minimum of 10 items to sell.
- The minimum order value should be $5 and above.
What can you sell on Decluttr?
Here are a few things you can sell on Decluttr:
- Mobile phones
- Wearable tech
- Gaming console
- CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays
Commission: it is completely free to use with no hidden charges or fees.
OfferUp is another user-to-user or C2C mobile-first marketplace where local buyers and sellers can come together to sell and purchase both old and new products. The platform emphasizes in-person transactions and hence, the emphasis on local selling. It started off as a competitor to Craigslist for local sellers to make some extra cash. There are millions of potential buyers on the platform that a seller can benefit from.
- Sellers can easily download the OfferUp app to manage listings and communicate with buyers easily on the go.
- Easy creation of listings, like most other marketplaces.
- The promotion feature on the app will let you push your listing up for a price.
- One can only sell to local buyers.
- Sellers must have a good rating for consistent online sales.
- The chances of getting an item sold at a fixed price are less as buyers will try to negotiate and haggle.
- Might encounter scam buyers.
What can you sell on OfferUp?
You can sell a whole lot of things on OfferUp, such as:
- Furniture, etc.
Commission: OfferUp does not charge any fee or commission, and customers can keep 100% of their profits if selling through meet-ups. If the seller is shipping the product to the buyer, then there’s a transaction fee involved.
Popular Marketplaces and Platforms to Check Out in 2023
If you have already been selling online for free and are looking to expand your own online store or business and attract a wide range of audience, then here are a few online selling sites you can check out:
Apart from connecting people with one another, Facebook also enabled buying and selling of products, but this happened mostly in small groups. In 2016, over 450 million people were buying and selling within Facebook groups from neighbors or collectors from across the world. With Facebook Marketplace, sellers and buyers have a convenient and dedicated space on their favorite social media platform to purchase and sell items easily within the community. If you are a trusted seller, you can sell more items and be assured of getting potential buyers.
- Sellers can sell new and used products easily through their Facebook accounts by listing the item on the Marketplace.
- Listing any item on Facebook Marketplace is easy, and is like posting on your feed.
- Buyers can view your listed items on the marketplace as it shows nearby items on sale. They can even specifically search for an item on the search bar.
- You can post items to sell in a group as well as on the Marketplace for maximum reach.
- You can sell items to a wider set of audience as the number of users on Facebook is high.
- Facebook doesn’t verify products sold, buyers or sellers, which could lead to scams and losses.
- No shipping facility is available.
- If sellers use the Marketplace Checkout option, then 5% of the payout is charged as fees per shipment above $8 or $0.40 for items lower than $8.
Pricing: Sellers can list their items for free.
Shopify is a popular eCommerce platform that allows individuals and brands to set up and launch their own website or store in no time. With outstanding features that support businesses of all kinds, Shopify is the first choice for many entrepreneurs and even offline store owners who are looking to make the digital shift. Shopify can be used by even beginners with its simple launch process that can help you set up your store in a few steps. Shopify merchants can sell online, in-person, as well as through brick-and-mortar stores and other channels such as social media effortlessly.
- It is easy to use with a zero learning curve.
- Shopify has 24/7 customer support available for merchants.
- Multiple payment options, including third-party payment apps and Shopify payments.
- Supports multiple eCommerce businesses such as drop shippers, retailers, wholesalers, and even digital product selling.
- Shopify Themes store has 100+ free and paid themes.
- Shopify App Store has tons of applications to support your online journey.
- You can get Shopify for $1/month for the first three months.
- The base plan comes with limited features for its price.
Pricing: The Basic plan after three months is priced at $29/month.
AliExpress is a global marketplace and also a popular choice for eCommerce businesses globally to source products for selling on other platforms using the dropshipping business model. You can find a wide range of products on AliExpress, from clothing to furniture, electronics, beauty products, and much more. Sellers looking to acquire products at a cheaper cost and adopt dropshipping to sell products can use AliExpress to expand their business.
- The low prices of the products make it an exceptionally good choice for dropshippers.
- No paid membership is required to access the wholesale pricing.
- Broad product catalog covering clothing, jewelry, home improvement tools, auto parts, and many other products.
- Even without any third-party applications, you can have AliExpress suppliers directly ship to customers.
- You can use it in combination with other eCommerce platforms such as Shopify to get the best benefits.
- No minimum orders.
- The shipping times are quite long, as most of the suppliers are based out of China.
- The return process is complicated, as shipping back to the AliExpress suppliers is a time-consuming process.
- With the low price comes low quality. Most of the products come with mediocre to low quality, which can impact your business’s reputation.
- Extremely poor customer service.
Times have changed, and the rise of eCommerce has revolutionized the way entrepreneurs and store owners sell their products and services online. Now is the time to multiply your online presence and bring additional mediums into action.
Don't just create an online website and wait for customers to come to you. Reach out to customers through social media and other marketing channels to maximize visibility and brand awareness.
With these 8 online platforms and marketplaces, you can begin and advance your eCommerce journey and reach unlimited potential.