As a Shopify merchant, managing all the transaction stuff sure is considered a daunting task. Especially for those who have both onsite and online store, this is even more of a headache. That’s why POS comes into play. Combining online and in-store sales is the primary goal of Shopify POS. Thus, it would make sense for a retail business to have both an online store and a physical store to sell items. This way, all sales — no matter where they come from — are integrated into the unified Shopify dashboard.
However, the Shopify POS software must be paired with suitable hardware like tablets, card readers, barcode scanners, cash drawers, etc. to work. And this is what we’ll mention in this article: Shopify Equipment for POS.
Shopify POS hardware may be a great option for managing your retail store in an economical way. With Shopify POS hardware, a collection of gadgets that syncs up with Shopify's cloud-based POS software, you can manage your inventory, customers, and sales with ease.
- List of Shopify POS Equipment
- Factors to Consider when Choosing Shopify POS Equipment
- Comparison of Shopify POS and different options available in the market
- Troubleshooting tips for common issues
- Device Malfunctions
- Payment Processing Problems
- Barcode Scanning Issues
- Printing Problems
- Software Updates
- Reach out to the support center
Features of Shopify POS equipment
This all-in-one mobile POS device lets you run your store from anywhere. You can call it a complete POS system that can replace all the other supported hardware devices integrating with your Shopify store and gives you access to all the features you need to sell in person.
One of the best things about Shopify POS Go is that it connects to your Shopify store seamlessly. You can manage your inventory, orders, customers, and staff from one place. You can also access your sales reports and analytics from the device itself, or from your Shopify dashboard on any computer or smartphone. You can even use Shopify POS Go offline, and sync your data when you're back online.
- Your store is based in the United States or Canada
- You have Shopify Payments activated as your store's payment provider
- Your store's currency matches your country's local currency
- You have a WPA2 Wi-Fi network
- Touchscreen display to browse products, add discounts, apply taxes, etc.
- Built-in camera doubles as a barcode scanner to scan products and add to cart with ease.
- Secure and reliable card reader that accepts all major payment methods, including credit cards, debit cards, and mobile wallets.
- Can be used as a standalone device, or be paired with other hardware accessories.
Watch our customer sharing about how he manages his business with Shopify POS GO:
The mPOP Printer and Cash Drawer, like the Shopify POS Go, is a complete hardware solution for your Shopify Point of Sale (POS) system. With its minimalist design and compact size, it combines a high-speed printer and a secure cash drawer into one convenient device. Seamlessly integrating your sales activities, this device can help you manage your inventory and access sales reports and analytics from anywhere. What's special is that even if you don't have an internet connection, mPOP still ensures uninterrupted transactions and automatically syncs data when you're back online.
- Compatible with the all-new Shopify POS
- The iPad you are using is running iOS 13 or higher or an iPhone that is running iPadOS 13 or higher
- Only scan 1D barcodes (If you want to scan physical gift cards with 2D barcodes, please use the front-facing camera of your iPad)
- The Bluetooth connectivity means only one main cable is needed for operation.
- Till size: 4 flat bill slots and 6 coin slots
- Cash drawer opens automatically when you process a sale
- Starter roll of receipt paper included in the box
- Includes USB 1D barcode scanner that plugs into the port built-into the unit
- Comes with a basic stand to set your tablet on that sits on top of the unit
*Depends on your location-based, Shopify POS Hardware store displays different options
List of Shopify card readers:
- Acceptance of various payment methods, including credit cards, debit cards, and contactless payments.
- Enhanced security with chip and PIN capabilities.
- Swift and seamless transactions, minimizing customer wait times.
List of cash drawers supported by Shopify:
- Arlo 13" Cash Drawer
- Star Micronics' 14" Cash Drawer
- VPOS 14" Cash Drawer
- Star Micronics' 16" Cash Drawer
- Star Micronics' 16" Cash Drawer
- VPOS 16" Cash Drawer
- Kingly Cash Drawer - Small
- Kingly Cash Drawer - Large
- Secure storage for cash and change during transactions.
- Organized cash management, ensuring accuracy and accountability.
- Integration with receipt printer for seamless transaction completion.
List of barcode scanners supported by Shopify:
- Effortless inventory management with quick and accurate barcode scanning.
- Streamlined checkout process, improving overall customer satisfaction.
- Easy identification and tracking of products, reducing human errors.
List of barcode printers supported by Shopify:
- DYMO LabelWriter® Wireless Label Printer
- DYMO LabelWriter® 450 Label Printer
- DYMO LabelWriter® 550 Label Printer
- DYMO LabelWriter® 5XL Label Printer
- Zebra Label Printer (USB)
- Zebra Label Printer (Wireless)
- Zebra 2" ZSB Label Printer
- Zebra 4" ZSB Label Printer
- Zebra Label Printer (USB + Bluetooth)
- Brother QL Label Printer - Wifi
- Bixolon Label Printer (USB)
- Efficient creation and printing of barcode labels.
- Streamlined inventory management, enabling accurate tracking.
- Increased operational efficiency and reduced manual efforts.
List of receipt printers supported by Shopify:
- Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
- Star Micronics TSP143IIIW (Wifi) receipt printer
- Star Micronics TSP143IIILAN receipt printer
- Star Micronics TSP143IVUE receipt printer
- Epson TM-m30II (Bluetooth) receipt printer
- Epson FP-81 II RT receipt printer
- Star Micronics mC-Print3 receipt printer
- Customizable receipts that reflect your brand identity.
- Professional and efficient customer service with printed receipts.
- Quick and easy setup and integration with Shopify POS system.
List of device stands supported by Shopify:
- Ergonomic and secure placement of devices for enhanced usability.
- Improved customer interaction by providing a stable and accessible setup.
You can check this list on how to set up and use Shopify POS devices: Shopify POS || Shopify Help Center - YouTube
Factors to Consider when Choosing Shopify POS Equipment
When selecting Shopify POS equipment, it's important to consider several factors to ensure that you choose the right components for your business needs (You can check out Shopify suggestions on selecting the right devices). Here are some key factors to consider:
Compatibility is an important factor in ensuring a smooth and efficient setup. Before paying for one, be noticed that the POS equipment you choose should be compatible with your existing hardware and software infrastructure. Check if it integrates seamlessly with your iPad or tablet, operating system, and other hardware like printers and scanners.
Evaluate the functionality of the equipment based on your specific requirements carefully. Each niche requires different features to work with. Consider the features you need, such as the ability to accept different payment types, barcode scanning capabilities, and inventory management functionalities. Assess how each piece of equipment aligns with your business operations and choose accordingly.
Easy to use
User-friendliness is essential for efficient operations and minimizing training time for your staff. Good POS equipment offers intuitive interfaces, easy setup processes, and straightforward navigation. Consider the learning curve associated with each component to ensure a smooth transition for your team.
Business potential scalability
Why consider the scalability, you ask? As you know, the price of one good POS hardware is not cheap. And if we buy it, we should expect to go with it for a long time. So, in that time, your business might change a lot and expand to some other niches. Then, the features of current POS hardware will no longer be enough for you.
What we have to do here is to define what you will possibly need for future use, what you expect the POS can do, and pick the according features. Also, keep in mind to consider its durability to avoid wearing and tearing while undergoing a lot of processes.
One of the most crucial factor when it comes to assessing a suitable POS is your budget and the device's cost-effectiveness. You can list the features you need and research in the market to find the flat price to define the budget.
Then, research the upfront purchase cost, ongoing maintenance expenses, and any associated fees such as software subscriptions.
The last thing to do is balance the benefits with the budget you have in hand to find the right equipment that fits within your financial ability while meeting your operational requirements.
On the other hand, if you just want to sell at a pop-up or event, paying for the whole hardware stuff might be a waste. Thus, you can consider renting the hardware to avoid incurring any unnecessary one-time costs with Shopify's hardware rental program.
With this program, you only need to pay for what you use rather than buying hardware outright, which is a great option for temporary selling without worrying about the budget.
Comparison of Shopify POS and different options available in the market
To get you the most suitable choice for your business using POS, we synthesize the comparison between Shopify POS and other popular options like Lightspeed, Square and Vend based on their key features for your reference:
First-party hardware and payments
Rates from 2.4% + 0¢ USD
Rates from 2.6% + 10¢
Rates from 2.5% + 10¢
Email an in-store cart to a customer
Shipping tools and discounts
On paid annual online plans
Fully customizable POS
Unlimited POS staff
Multi-location inventory, in-store and online
Fully integrated ecommerce and POS
One-click online checkout
Online marketplace sales (Google, Amazon, and more)
Troubleshooting tips for common issues
Even the most reliable systems may occasionally run into problems. That's why this part comes to help, we've prepared a list of troubleshooting tips for common issues you may encounter during the process:
If your Shopify POS device is not responding or freezing, try restarting it. You can check if the device's battery is charged or try connecting to a power source. If it still doesn't work, please try resetting the device to its factory settings as a last resort.
Payment Processing Problems
Some things to notice when your POS has problems in the payment process are:
- Make sure that your card reader is properly connected and compatible with your device.
- Verify that the payment method you're using is supported by Shopify POS.
- Check if there are any issues with the payment gateway or payment processor.
- Ensure that you have a stable internet connection for seamless payment processing.
Barcode Scanning Issues
The accurate scanning can be affected if the lens is not cleaned, so make sure you always keep the lens in check first. Also, check if the barcode still can work properly or is broken.
You should verify that the barcode scanner is configured correctly in the POS settings.
If you encounter any printing problems, the first thing to do is to check if the printer is connected to your device or network, and powered on. Make sure that the correct printer drivers are installed. You should also clear any print queues or restart the printer if necessary.
Sometimes, not updating the app can lead to some sync errors or missing some extra features. So in this case, please update the app regularly and make sure you always use the latest version to maintain its compatibility and provide a better customer experience.
Reach out to the support center
If you encounter an issue that can't be solved from your side or require technical intervention, reaching Shopify's 24/7 customer support is always a wise choice. They will help you with technical problems and provide detailed instructions.
Keep in mind that troubleshooting may vary depending on the specific device and software configuration you have. You should refer to the manuals and documentation provided by Shopify and the device manufacturer for detailed troubleshooting steps that are appropriate for your setup.
In conclusion, the importance of Shopify POS equipment in today's retail industry is undeniable. With seamless integration, Shopify POS hardware helps businesses deliver exceptional customer experiences, streamline operations, and drive growth. We hope this article has introduced you to Shopify POS equipment, to get to know its features, advantages, and even how to choose the best Shopify POS equipment.